There are many potential topics for shared decision-making in departments. Some of the most common, and most challenging, include:
- Recommending faculty hires to Dean
- Suggesting Chair appointments to Dean
- Adopting/amending bylaws
- Tenure and promotion deliberation process
- Electing faculty to committees
- Changing curricula
- Recommending office space/lab allocations
- Merit deliberations
Faculty can be involved in many other different kinds of decisions, such as identifying speakers to invite to campus, student awards, ensuring faculty and student success, and other activities.
Joya Misra. 2020. Shared Decision-Making Best Practices. University of Massachusetts Amherst ADVANCE.