Doctor of Nursing Practice
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Year Degree Awarded
Month Degree Awarded
mental health simulation, standardized patient, undergraduate nursing, mental health nursing, integrating mental health simulation into nursing education.
DNP Project Chair
DNP Project Member Name
DNP Project Outside Member Name
- DNP Project Goal: Provide a simulation-based mental health nursing education experience to pre-licensure nursing students prior to participating in a mental health clinical rotation to reduce anxiety and increase confidence in therapeutic communication and care of the patient with mental health needs.
- Background and Review of Literature: Research suggests nursing students feel anxious about participating in mental health clinical rotation and have decreased confidence in treatment and communication with patients.
- Methods: A quality improvement project was conducted utilizing seven nursing students from a BSN program. The participants engaged in a simulation-based mental health nursing education experience, which included completing a learning module and posttest, satisfaction and self-confidence in learning questionnaire, followed by participating in two informal focus groups.
- Results: After the simulation experience, student questionnaire results demonstrated strong agreement by 57% of participants, that anxiety was decreased. In the informal focus groups, participants agreed simulation was beneficial, resulted in less anxiety with more confidence, and should be incorporated into the nursing curricula.
- Implications to Practice: Implementing simulation into nursing curricula will provide an opportunity for students to practice communication skills, obtain feedback, and participate in discussion on methods to improve clinical practice.
- Conclusion: The results suggest further exploration of implementation of simulation-based mental health nursing education experience into nursing programs.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.